Wednesday, June 6, 2007

When “Looks” Matter….




I have not fallen in love with a man for his looks. It is personality that makes my knees weak and my heart melt. Yet, I cannot fully say “looks” don’t matter.

I just realized “looks” do matter.

A few minutes ago, I left my house. I returned a minute later, realizing I had forgotten my eyeglasses. And, as I left the second time, there it was---that “look” It is the “look” my beloved bestowed on me, lamenting my departure, yet again.

While “looks” or the physical appearance does not factor much in my decision to love. One “look” matters. It is how your loved one lovingly looks at you. It is a look, which clearly conveys you are the only person in the world that matters. It is how your loved ones eyes light up when he sees you after a day of work or several hours apart. It is how his eyes are glued on your every move even in a room full of people.

It has been many months since a man lovingly gave me that look. The only one who gives me that loving look is Snort. He’s my nine-year-old Shih Tzu. He entered my life when I started my career as a travel writer.

He was a young puppy in his playpen when I would creep out of the house in the wee hours of the night to leave for my shoots. I would spend several days traveling with a TV crew, writing stories about the different provinces in the country. Waking him up, he would have that disoriented look. He grew familiar with this routine, of me disappearing for days, or weeks. I would always make it a point to say, “Goodbye!,” explaining that his “Mommy” would come back soon. Sometimes, I would even leave him an old shirt so he could smell my scent, and be ok. But he always gave me that sad look as if to say, “You’re leaving me again.” Then he would sigh and press his head sadly on the marble floor.

Today, as I dashed off to leave him again, our eyes met. In his eyes, I saw the look of love. And at that moment, I knew “looks” matter.

6.6.07. 1:55pm

No comments: